Tuesday, July 28

thoughts on *BFF*

So, I'm starting to learn that J.Weiner's new book, Best Friends Forever, is quite the tear jerker- I was even a bit misty reading on my lunch break today. It's clear from the beginning that this story is not going to be some bubble gum, happy-go-lucky tale. If I had to pinpoint one primary recurring theme it would be loneliness and how empty life can be when you have no one to share your joys and sorrows with. Addie- the main character- goes through most of her life without any friends-paralyzed by her introversion and inability to connect with her peers.

We know at the very beginning that her childhood best friend, Valerie, abandons her once they become teenagers- I haven't found out exactly what caused their separation yet but Weiner hints throughout that it probably has something to do with Val becoming beautiful and popular in h.s. as Addie becomes more & more awkward and uncomfortable in her increasingly thicker skin.

As Weiner continuously paints a picture of Addie's past it seems as though any bad thing that can happen to her does, and you can't help but wonder- when will it end? I won't give away any of the plotlines, but I'm just gonna say that this is the quintessential portrayal of when bad things happening to good people-a theme that resonates with many of us.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a break from Jennifer Weiner to chat about Jane Green's new novel (which I quickly finished before BFF)- Dune Road! And you'll just have to stay tuned to see whether it was a must-read! <3